Monday, May 10, 2010

Pulled Pork: Recipe for a Crowd

*Photo from allrecipes.com because I forgot to take a pic!

Yesterday we hosted my husband's side of the family over here for Mother's Day.  Being that is was "my day" I didn't want to work my rear off in the kitchen.  This pulled pork recipe is cheap, easy, you can make it the day ahead and it feeds a crowd.  Here's what you need:

5-10 lb. pork shoulder roast or pork butt roast
1 can beef broth
1/4 -1/2 cup brewed coffee
BBQ sauce of your choice

Salt and pepper your roast then place in your crock pot.  Pour in broth and coffee.  Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.  Remove meat from crock pot and let cool.  Shred with a couple forks or clean fingers.  Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking liquid and get rid of the rest.  If your meat looks a little dry, add some of the reserved liquid back to the shredded meat.  Here is where you have a choice.  You can add sauce to the entire pot o' meat or serve it "dry" and let people put on their own sauce.  I like to have 3-4 different types of sauce and people can put on their own as well as jalapenos and pickles.  Put out some yummy rolls and watch it disappear! 

I cooked a 10 pound roast and it fed 17 people.  There are a lot of young guys in the family who eat a lot so take that as you will.  Luckily, I had just the right amount of meat and there were plenty of awesome side dishes brought as well.

For dessert, I made blackberry cobbler from this recipe.  Sooo yummy with vanilla ice cream!

Hope everyone had a great Mother's Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment