Friday, April 8, 2011

Morning Routine


There are a few things that have become almost a necessity each morning.  I think that a ginormous cup of coffee goes without saying for a new momma who's up nursing throughout the night.  If you like coffee that is!  

The second part of my morning routine has become a bowl of these steel cut oats.  It seems to me that people either really like oatmeal or they never touch the stuff.  In our house, we're oatmeal people.  We've always used the quick cooking oats or regular oats.  I'd heard about steel cut oats before from Alton Brown (love him!) and when I saw them on the shelf in my grocery store, I snatched them up.  They are so yummy and quite different from the oats we're all used too.  These take about 20 minutes to cook on the stove but the nutty flavor and texture is so worth the 20 minutes.  When the oats are done we stir in a little brown sugar for a bit of sweetness.  The next part is up to you.  Start adding whatever sounds good.  One of my favs is fresh strawberries.  Ava likes raisins in hers or even Craisins if we have them.  You could add apples, honey, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla or anything else that sounds good to you.  Try them.  Trust me you will like them.  Here are a few recipes from around the web to jazz up your oats even more.


No comments:

Post a Comment