Monday, December 20, 2010

Gingerbread Playdough


Ava and I whipped up a couple batches of play-dough to give her friends for Christmas.  She helped with all the measuring, dumping and stirring while I did all the serious mixing on the stove.  These make quick, easy, cheap and fun gifts for all the little people in your life.  Not to mention that they make your house smell yummy while you make the dough.   We made a chocolate play-dough too but I wasn't as happy with the end texture so I'll work on the recipe and then post it.  

Gingerbread Play-Dough
1 1/4 Cup flour
1/2 Cup salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
Spices--Cinnamon, Allspice, Ginger, Nutmeg
1 cup water
1 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil 

  1. Mix all of the dry ingredients in a medium pot.  I started with a teaspoon of each of the spices.  I know I ended up adding more cinnamon to the pot though.
  2. Add wet ingredients and stir over low heat until a ball starts to form and the dough pulls away from the sides of the pot.  It will take a couple minutes on the stove to get to the dough to start forming.
  3. Remove the ball and knead until it is a consistent color and texture.
We "wrapped" the dough in plastic containers with a cookie cutter or two and tied with a pretty bow.  

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea! JanUK

    ReplyDelete
  2. how much does this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I doubled it for about 4 cups of dough. I had to add about an extra cup of flour, it was too sticky. Great idea though!

    ReplyDelete