Friday, December 10, 2010

Book Club: Picking Cotton



Tonight is our book club Christmas party, and I'm really looking forward to it.  It's so fun to get a group of girls together to talk and stuff our faces :o) 

The book we read for this month was a memoir of a young woman who was raped and the man she wrongly accused of the crime.  Merry Christmas, right?  This story is interesting in the fact that it is told in 3 sections.  The first part is told by Jennifer the victim of the rape.  The second section is told by Ronald who was wrongly accused and served 11 years in jail.  You read that right.  11 years.  The final section is told by both Ronald and Jennifer.  There are no interesting or suspenseful plot twists.  The characters are real people with real feelings.  This book is worth a read though.  I found Ronald to be the most interesting.  He survived jail for years knowing he didn't commit the 2 rapes he was accused of and he forgave Jennifer.  It was a true story of forgiveness.  I know I've said this before but I love my book club for so many reasons but the top reason being it pushes me to read outside my norm.  

1 comment:

  1. The Book club sounds a great way to get together with your friends. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas. I've got news of a big Giveaway I'm taking part on over at my Blog if you fancy joining in the fun, Catherine x

    ReplyDelete