Monday, March 28, 2011

Recipe: Spicy Bean Filling



I'm a big fan of Mexican food so this recipe was right up my alley.  Easy, fast and as an added bonus it's cheap because there is no meat in it.  Did I mention that it is really tasty, too?  I have made this twice now only to receive raves from my family.  The first time I served it as make your own burritos with lettuce, cheese, tomato, avocado, sour cream, etc.  The most recent time I made it I used it as a quesadilla filling with just the bean filling, cheese and black olives.  It's what I had on hand, and it was so good.  The left overs are really yummy too. 

Spicy Bean Filling
Serves: about 6

2 tsp. vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/3 cup water
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup salsa

Extras:
tortillas
lettuce
tomato
shredded cheese
sour cream
whatever else you think will taste good :o)

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in chile powder, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/3 cup water and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in salsa. 


Source:  Slightly adapted from Cooking Light and Annie's Eats

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Amy, this is Sharon from the Lemon Squeezy blog! You won my free calendar, but I can't find an email address on your blog to email you at...hopefully you'll see this comment soon and email me so you can get your free calendar! sharonerowan at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy! Haven't visited you in a while - why, not sure but I'm loving catching up again! This recipe looks delish!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete