Monday, August 10, 2009

Peaceful York, England

I have had so much time away from the computer that I didn't get a chance to finish up our UK pics. We took so many pictures on our trip that are truly stunning. I just never know what to do with them. They just end up sitting on my hard drive waiting for something creative and fantastic to be done with them. If you have any ideas I would be more than happy to hear them!


Anyway...Our 3rd stop on our trip was the small town of York. We stayed at a great B&B called the St. Raphael Guesthouse. Dom and Zoe were our age and super friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend staying there if you are in the area. The nice thing about York was that everything was within walking distance so there was no need for taxis or buses which is very nice.
The first thing you notice when walking through this town in of course the Minster. At this point you should know that every town has a Minster (and an Abbey for that matter!) We ventured up the tower at the Minster and were very impressed by the views. The shot below if from the halfway point of the almost 700 stairs. The trek is not for the weak hearted but so worth it.
There is a very cute pedestrian street called the Shambles which has tearooms, candy shops and any other shop you can imagine. There was a great yarn shop there too but I didn't indulge. The street looked liked a set from a Harry Potter movie. I kept looking for Hagrid to no avail...
I mentioned the Abbey earlier but this was a little different from the other Abbeys we had seen on our trip because this was only the ruins of the Abbey. It was gorgeous though. I could see having a wedding there if I were to do it over again. You can see in the picture below just how perfect that would be.
The last 2 shots are of an amazing dinner we ate at Cafe No8. Bistro and the city wall. It was so perfect. And talk about romantic! We ate out back in the garden and the food was to die for. If I knew I only had one meal left I would be on my way to York in a heartbeat. I'm drooling just thinking about it! From the bistro you could see the city walls that surround York. After dinner we climbed the stairs to the wall and wondered around York to work off some of our food and take in the city from a different point of view. York was a dream...
One day we hope to go back and take some friends with us...anybody game????

No comments:

Post a Comment