Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Recipe: Slow Cooker Pot Roast



Now that the weather is finally starting to get chilly here, it's the perfect time for a great pot roast that is super simple. I throw this together in the morning and it simmers on low all day and makes the house smell fantastic.  When we sat down to eat this the other night, my husband said that he hated this growing up but now he looks forward to when I make it.  I think that's a compliment?  I serve it with crusty bread to soak up all the yummy gravy.

  • 2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
  • 1 1/4 cups water or a can of beef broth
  • Up to a 5 lb. pot roast ( I use a chuck roast)
  • 6 carrots peeled and cut into 2 inches pieces
  • 1 lb. new potatoes

  • In a slow cooker, mix cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix and water (or broth). Place pot roast in slow cooker and coat with soup mixture.  Cook on  low setting for 8 to 9 hours.

The last 2 or 3 hours of cooking add the carrots and potatoes.  I always add them the last 3 hours just to make sure they cook all the way through.

*Recipe slightly adapted from allrecipes.com

1 comment:

  1. Um, were you just reading my mind? Because I've been thinking of pot roast these days...

    ReplyDelete