Friday, February 5, 2010

And Sew It Begins...




I know...goofy play on words but what can I say, I'm a little goofy.  My dad gave me a sewing machine for Christmas (thanks Dad!) that has been sitting in the box until 2 nights ago.  I finally got it out to figure out how to use it.  Things started to come back to me from the small amount of sewing I did in a high school class but not much.  Colleen, who is a great seamstress, was having a sewing night at her house with a couple girls and I needed to at least know how to thread my machine.  I learn so much better from watching rather than reading the instruction book.  Therefore, the sewing night was a must for me!  I had my pretty fabric all washed and pressed, my machine threaded correctly (thank goodness) and my pattern from Frog Legs and Ponytails (the Caroline dress) ready for action.  I loaded up the car and headed over to Colleen's. 

I learned so much!!  I am so grateful to Colleen for all the guidance with my first project.  The dress isn't done but I've got a good start and hope to finish it this evening.  I just need to practice.  The unfortunate thing about my personality is I want it to be perfect the first time.  I don't want to waste my time if it's not going to be good.  This first dress is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but it's a start and a decent one.  I think I'm going to make a few of this same dress for Ava so I can get more practice before I venture on to other patterns.  It felt good to spend a few hours cutting, measuring, and sewing fabric and then have a pretty dress at the end.  It was a rewarding night for me and a good start on a new hobby. I think Ava is into this hobby as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment