Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Book Club: The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin



So I've been reading this months book selection, The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, and I have to say that I'm glad it was chosen.  It was not something that I would have picked up on my own because I consider myself a pretty happy gal.  It's made me realize that there so many small ways to alter my thinking to put myself in a better mood. 


I've tried out several of her "theories" and found them to be simple and easy to do.  First step was getting rid of clutter.  That was a piece of cake for me because I love to declutter.  My closets are so much more organized now.  I just needed a little kick in the pants to get going.  Second thing I took on was gratitude.  I often take things in my life for granted.  I know this about myself and will openly admit it.  I don't tell Steve often enough what a great husband and dad he is.  I don't tell my friends how much I appreciate them listening to my stories and venting.  She talked about starting a gratitude journal and I immediately thought...ugh.  She goes on to say that she didn't like it either.  She found that she was dreading writing in the journal and it felt forced.  I know that is how I would feel without even trying it.  She mentioned that now she just mentally goes through all the things in her life she is grateful for while her computer boots up every morning.  This I knew I could do!!  I took it a step further and decided to pray every morning as my computer loads.  Taking that time to *thank* God for all the amazing people and things in my life has really started my days off on a high note.  The third thing I've done is really enjoy Ava and Steve.  I have completely lost my sense of humor with my husband.  I've become a fuddy dud.  He jokes and laughs and I remind him of all the things we have to do.  That's not me...at least it didn't used to be.  I now make it a point to laugh with Steve everyday.  I enjoy the moments when Ava is covered in stickers from head to toe and has pink marker all over her shirt and hands.  She's only going to be this little for so long.  I need to savor every moment with her.  There are countless other nuggets of info in the book that I have tried and loved but don't want to bore you with. 


The bottom line is I think the book was worth the $15 bucks I spent on Amazon for it.  I know I have started to appreciate the people in my life a lot more and have made much more of an effort to act the way I want to feel...happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment