Monday, March 8, 2010

Looking for the Glimmer



Sorry to be MIA for a week.  Last week was long, sad, exhausting, and emotional.  Last Sunday Steve's uncle passed away.  John was 49 years old and for all practical purposes a healthy guy.  He went to the doctor because he wasn't feeling well after starting a new diet and was diagnosed with cancer on February 2nd.  On February 28th, John passed away quietly with his wife and siblings by his side.  John leaves behind his wife, Sandy, and his 12 year old daughter, Melanie. 

I haven't dealt much with death in my life.  Three of my grandparents died before I was born or when I was too young to remember.  My grandma is still here and will never die.  That's just how it's going to be!  Steve hasn't dealt with it much either.  To lose his uncle at such a young age was a shock and it all happened too fast.  I know he is in heaven and not in any more pain.  While I know this in my head, my heart can't stop aching for his wife and daughter.  His wife is amazingly strong and did a phenomenal job those 2 long days during the visitation and funeral.  His daughter, Melanie, was so strong too.  She was surrounded by her friends and classmates both days which helped take her mind off all the somber faces around her. 

Both days I was looking for that glimmer of happiness to return to them both.  Just a small inkling that they were going to be okay was all I wanted to see.  After laying John to rest and saying their final goodbyes, I saw the glimmer.  All the family and friends were at their house and Sandy's brother received a call saying that he won a new car.  There was screaming, jumping up and down, laughter, and more screaming.  It lightened the mood and brought smiles to everyone's face.  For those who knew John, this is exactly how he would have wanted his funeral to be.  Happy, smiles, no tears, and a new car!  Sandy and Melanie are going to be okay, it's just going to take time...lots of time. 

You will be greatly missed, John.

No comments:

Post a Comment