Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Recipe: Baked Sweet Potato Fries

image: readersdigest.ca

I'm a sucker for a good sweet potato but no one around me really likes them the way I do.  That being said I'm always trying to find a way to incorporate them into our meals about twice a year (other than Thanksgiving).  Last night I made French Dip Sandwiches and wanted fries to go with them.  Having picked up two sweet potatoes at the store earlier in the week, I decided to make "fries" out of them.  These are not going to be crispy like normal oil fried french fries but I think they have good flavor, are easy to prepare and are a little out of the ordinary.  Steve even commented how good they were which is saying a lot.

Baked Sweet Potato Fries
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into thick fries
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Line a baking sheet with foil and place your fries on the sheet.  Drizzle with oil and toss to evenly coat the fries (I use  my hands).  Sprinkle with brown sugar, salt and pepper.  
  3. Bake for 15 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven, toss and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until fork tender.
I'm sure there are countless other ways to jazz these up but this is a simple recipe that you can add your own flare to.


1 comment: