Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Girly Girl




I remember very vividly March 19, 2008. That was the day we found out we were having a girl. Up until that point, it had been drilled into our heads that we were having a boy by my MIL. All of Steve's cousins were boys, not a single girl in the group. Therefore there was no way Steve could produce a girl. Well surprise...it's girl. The point was made very clear in the ultrasound. March 19th is also my birthday, so we went out to dinner afterwards. All through dinner Steve was painfully quiet. I was so worried he was disappointed but I was wrong. He was in shock. When he finally did start talking, it was all of his worries that spilled out.

"I don't know what to do with a girl."
"What if she wants to play tea party with me? I've never done that before."
"She's not going to date...ever."
"I can't think of one of my friends that I would let her date, and I like my friends. No one will ever be good enough."
"She's going to play a sport."
"Does this mean I have to play house and dress up?"

He was truly freaked out by this girl thing. I was just happy to find out she was healthy and everything looked good. I also was excited because I have an awesome relationship with my mom, so I knew I would have that with Ava one day.

It took a few days but he snapped out of it and was super excited to have a girl. He is great with her. I love watching him play with her. He plays tea party with her and house. He also plays ball with her too. He still says he doesn't want a girly girl. I'm not too girly, so I doubt Ava will be either. Don't get me wrong, I like to shop (and so does Ava) but I am very low maintenance. Steve now says he can't imagine having a boy and feels so blessed to have Ava. Although he does hope baby number 2 is a boy...and so do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment