Thursday, October 22, 2009

Soup for the Soul


I mentioned the soup party in the previous post, so I thought I would share the recipe I made for the party. It's one of those super easy but makes you feel so warm inside kind of soups. The list of ingredients is short and chances are you have most of it in your fridge or pantry already. It's nothing fancy but a crowd pleaser none the less. My family has made this soup for as long as I can remember and I'm going to keep making it. Kind of a funny name but trust me it's yummy!

Chicken Soup with Rivels


3 ½ -4 lb. chicken
1 large onion, chopped
6 cups hot water (enough water to cover the chicken)
3 cups sliced carrots
Salt
Pepper
1 cup flour
1 egg
1-2 Tbsp. milk
1 cup celery, chopped




1. In large dutch oven, heat on high the chicken, onion, water, carrots, salt, and pepper until it boils. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken is fork tender.


2. Remove chicken and allow to cool.


3. To prepare rivels, in medium bowl stir flour, egg, pinch of salt, and milk to create a crumbly mixture.


4. With spoon (I use my hands), sprinkle rivels into simmering soup. Add celery; cook 20 minutes or until tender.


5. Cut chicken meat from the bone into bite sized pieces. Stir in meat and heat through.


It's a great soup and perfect for this dreary weather that has set upon us. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment